Reasons for "this pull request cannot be updated because the source reference is missing"

Hello,

somtimes I get the message “this pull request cannot be updated because the source reference is missing”. I cannot really find out when this happens and also do not fully understand what the message actually means. We are using mercurial with branches, do not fork, we don’t edit history.

Poking around in the logs I found:
+++ BEG SOURCE EXCEPTION +++
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/rhodecode/store/vca88a480a0h180df1clxpybgfqqhswq-python2.7-rhodecode-vcsserver-4.17.4/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vcsserver/hg.py”, line 597, in lookup
ctx = self._get_ctx(repo, revision)
File “/opt/rhodecode/store/vca88a480a0h180df1clxpybgfqqhswq-python2.7-rhodecode-vcsserver-4.17.4/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vcsserver/hg.py”, line 167, in _get_ctx
return get_ctx(repo, ref)
File “/opt/rhodecode/store/vca88a480a0h180df1clxpybgfqqhswq-python2.7-rhodecode-vcsserver-4.17.4/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vcsserver/hgcompat.py”, line 69, in get_ctx
ctx = repo[ref]
File “/opt/rhodecode/store/s4nnxsslk0x3frd51nrnadk5jfh4fh6k-python2.7-mercurial-4.9.1/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mercurial/localrepo.py”, line 1310, in getitem
node = bin(changeid)
File “/opt/rhodecode/store/s4nnxsslk0x3frd51nrnadk5jfh4fh6k-python2.7-mercurial-4.9.1/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mercurial/node.py”, line 19, in bin
return binascii.unhexlify(s)
TypeError: Non-hexadecimal digit found
+++ END SOURCE EXCEPTION +++

Any hints on how I can find out whats happening here?

How are the branches named ? We found one problem receantly with exactly 20 character long branches that can cause problems

Hi, the branch was named “12526-port-review-dialog-to-risebase2”. Its not 20 chars, maybe the number at the end?

Please try to upgrade to 4.18.X if this still happens we’ll investigate more.

Ok, thanks. Missed those totally (were there any announcements on the mailing list or such?) Will test and report back, Thank you very much!

I am still seeing this after the upgrade. What can I do to debug it?

Could you please post the full exception form 4.18.X release ?

Since the upgrade to 4.18.3 I havent seen this issue any more.

Thanks you so much for your work!