CA root certificate is ignored

ldap

Hello,

I am trying to set a certificate check with the LDAP server. I have grabbed the CA certificate and checked that TLS connection is fine with:
openssl s_client -connect ldap.server.corp:636 -state -CAfile /etc/ssl/certs/cafile.pem

Following documentation I set the line
TLS_CACERT /etc/ssl/certs/cafile.pem
in /etc/ldap/ldap.conf

But when I test with Rhodecode I get the error at authentication:

File "/opt/rhodecode/store/9q264m389m52myrgjanjivaab4192bva-python2.7-rhodecode-enterprise-ce-4.7.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/rhodecode/authentication/plugins/auth_ldap.py", line 434, in auth
    (user_dn, ldap_attrs) = aldap.authenticate_ldap(username, password)
  File "/opt/rhodecode/store/9q264m389m52myrgjanjivaab4192bva-python2.7-rhodecode-enterprise-ce-4.7.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/rhodecode/authentication/plugins/auth_ldap.py", line 329, in authenticate_ldap
    "server, org_exc:%s" % org_exc)
LdapConnectionError: LDAP can't access authentication server, org_exc:Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/rhodecode/store/9q264m389m52myrgjanjivaab4192bva-python2.7-rhodecode-enterprise-ce-4.7.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/rhodecode/authentication/plugins/auth_ldap.py", line 294, in authenticate_ldap
    server = self._get_ldap_server()
  File "/opt/rhodecode/store/9q264m389m52myrgjanjivaab4192bva-python2.7-rhodecode-enterprise-ce-4.7.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/rhodecode/authentication/plugins/auth_ldap.py", line 250, in _get_ldap_server
    server.simple_bind_s(self.LDAP_BIND_DN, self.LDAP_BIND_PASS)
  File "/opt/rhodecode/store/bfglg8a00j1d78vhxca94g2gp2ggaji5-python2.7-python-ldap-2.4.19/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py", line 214, in simple_bind_s
    msgid = self.simple_bind(who,cred,serverctrls,clientctrls)
  File "/opt/rhodecode/store/bfglg8a00j1d78vhxca94g2gp2ggaji5-python2.7-python-ldap-2.4.19/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py", line 208, in simple_bind
    return self._ldap_call(self._l.simple_bind,who,cred,RequestControlTuples(serverctrls),RequestControlTuples(clientctrls))
  File "/opt/rhodecode/store/bfglg8a00j1d78vhxca94g2gp2ggaji5-python2.7-python-ldap-2.4.19/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ldap/ldapobject.py", line 106, in _ldap_call
    result = func(*args,**kwargs)
SERVER_DOWN: {'desc': "Can't contact LDAP server", 'info': 'error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed (self signed certificate in certificate chain)'}

The error is the same as the one that I get when running openssl without -CAfile argument, so it looks like the TLS_CACERT setting isn’t taken into account.

Is there another way to tell Rhodecode to use my CA file?

Hi Charles,

RhodeCode uses it’s own additional .pem file in all python calls, so importing remote repositories, or LDAP authentication.
This file can be found in: /home/USER/.rccontrol-profile/etc/ca-bundle.crt you can extend it with your custom cert to make a self-signed work.

Also LDAP itself uses this: https://code.rhodecode.com/rhodecode-enterprise-ce/files/tip/rhodecode/authentication/plugins/auth_ldap.py#L228

So by default it’s /etc/openldap/cacerts

Hope it helps

Hi Marcin,

Thanks, using it works using ~/.rccontrol-profile/etc/ca-bundle.crt! The documentation is worth being updated to mention this possibility.
Best,
Charles

Thanks for confirmation, we already added info to LDAP plugin about that, and also exposed location of it in web-interface.